Job Posting - Deputy Director for Shelbyville Housing Authority TN
DEPUTY DIRECTOR: SHELBYVILLE, TN
APPLICANTS: The Shelbyville Housing Authority is currently accepting resumes for a Deputy Director to administer the financial and operational activities of the agency. Resumes should include a cover letter and references. No phone calls. Only qualified resumes will be considered.
SEND RESUME TO:
Ronald W. Tillman
Shelbyville Housing Authority
PO Box 560
Shelbyville, TN 37162
OR E-MAIL: firstname.lastname@example.org
SECTION 3: The Shelbyville Housing Authority (SHA) is subject to HUD Section 3 hiring requirements; is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Drug-Free Workplace. The Shelbyville Housing Authority abides by the requirements of 41 CFR 900-74.5 (a) which prohibits discrimination against qualified individuals on the basis of disability or protected veteran status, and Title VII of the Civil Rights Act. Pre-employment physical and drug screen required for new hires.
Reasonable accommodations may be provided as required by the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) upon request.
The Shelbyville Housing Authority (SHA), located in Shelbyville, TN, has been in operation since 1955 and currently manages 422 low income public housing apartments. SHA is governed by a five (5) member Board of Commissioners appointed by the Shelbyville City Mayor.
The mission of SHA is to provide and preserve quality affordable housing in a clean, decent, and safe environment, free from discrimination, and promoting self-sufficiency and economic independence among all housing residents while revitalizing Shelbyville’s neighborhoods and enhancing the quality of life. SHA plays a key role in Shelbyville’s affordable housing community including decreasing the homeless population and increasing quality low income housing through development and redevelopment.
The Deputy Director serves as Financial Controller and Assistant to the Executive Director. Under the direction of the Executive Director, the Deputy Director is responsible for the full-time day to day financial and operational activities of the agency.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Inform and advise the Executive Director regarding all matters affecting the overall management and operation of the authority. Assist the Executive Director in preparing for and conducting board meetings and in the absence of the Executive Director, serve as and perform the functions of Secretary.
- Represent the Executive Director and the authority in all contract matters in negotiations with local, state, federal, private organizations, and the public in general.
- Supervise, monitor, and evaluate authority personnel and programs and initiate action to improve these performances based on evaluation results.
- Establish goals and objectives and supervise the implementation of these goals and objectives.
- Direct and coordinate the preparation of the budget and operational plan. Monitor and analyze the budget posture during each fiscal year and submit appropriate revisions when needed. Prepare and supervise the preparation of all financial statements.
- Direct the preparation on implementation of long range operational and financial plans.
- Ensure that pertinent Federal rules and regulations and authority policies and procedures are followed.
- Meet with resident groups and maintain good relations with residents. Approve all expenditures in conformation with board policy. Sign purchase orders and countersign with other appropriate board designated official or staff members.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Associate Degree and five (5) years' experience in a responsible management position, preferably in public housing.
- Bachelor’s Degree and at least one (1) year experience in a responsible management position or in areas of housing management; or five (5) years in a responsible management position
NECESSARY KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Meaningful experience in housing management and considerable knowledge of housing authority operations.
- Experience in public organizations, as well as private organizations. Capability to make sound but quick and difficult decisions based on experience, knowledge, and good sound judgement.
- Ability to lead and inspire others, and ability to quickly analyze problems and conceptualize solutions.
- A valid state driver’s license or ability to obtain one immediately after being hired.
- Must possess the public housing manager’s certification within one (1) year of employment.
TOOLS AND EQUIPMENT USED
- Personal computer, including word processing and spreadsheet software; mainframe computer system; 10 key calculator; phone.
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Employee is required to walk. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and the ability to adjust focus.
SALARY & BENEFITS: are commensurate with SHA policies.