Executive Director - Memphis Housing Strategies
MHS Executive Director Job Description
Position Description: Executive Director
Memphis Housing Strategies (MHS) is seeking an Executive Director. The Executive Director is responsible for the overall administrative, financial, and programmatic operation of MHS. The Executive Director reports to the Board of Directors.
Organized in 2019 as a 501(c)(3) designated affiliate of Memphis Housing Authority (MHA), MHS is a nonprofit organization that currently does not employ any full or part-time staff and is governed by a dedicated board of directors. This position is an excellent opportunity for a talented professional with entrepreneurial drive and a passion for work in the affordable housing industry. The MHS Board seeks an individual with exceptional leadership and communication skills, a strategic vision, an entrepreneurial work ethic, and strong collaborative and management abilities needed to orchestrate the organization's future growth and development.
The mission of Memphis Housing Strategies is to advance real estate initiatives that promote vibrant and sustainable neighborhoods.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Lead the start-up operations of MHS, including obtaining office space, branding and visibility efforts, development of policies and procedures, financial and program administration, as well as planning, partner/relationship development
- Develop and manage revenue-generating initiatives that exemplify the mission of the agency
- Leverage additional funding sources to maximize impact, including foundation and government grants, contracts, donations, fundraising events, and other sources
- Direct financial management and compliance reporting
- Develop and execute a marketing plan to ensure high visibility for housing opportunities for the target population
- Stay apprised of current regulatory rules, legislations, and grant/contract opportunities for affordable housing production
- Review and approve communications materials, including training and outreach materials, press releases, reports, and other organizational materials and publications
- Serve as the liaison between MHS and its affiliate organization, Memphis Housing Authority
- Serve as liaison with the Board of Directors to engage them in the work of the organization
- Oversee all executive and administrative activities including, but not limited to, conducting regular board meetings, negotiating and managing all service contracts and grants, and preparing reports for the MHS Board of Directors
- Assist with long-range planning, policy development, fundraising events, and other activities as determined by the MHS Board of Directors
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, & Qualifications:
- Bachelor's degree (minimum) or Master's degree preferred in the following areas: Real Estate Development, Business Administration, Public Administration, Nonprofit Management, or City/Urban Planning. A minimum of five years in a leadership/management role.
- Leadership-level experience with community development and/or housing production
- Proficiency in standard office technology, particularly MS Office Excel, Word, PowerPoint
- Well-developed oral, written, and interpersonal communication skills
- Experience with start-up operations
- Experience with program evaluation design and implementation
- The salary range is $90,000 - $105,000.
- Health benefits: Medical coverage is available with this position.